Fear No AI, But Fear the Human Behind the Code
# Fear No AI, But Fear the Human Behind the Code
This is something we, as artists, should think about. A few years ago, I had no idea what AI would bring to the creative world. In 2018, I was warned that AI could affect my work as a 3D artist. At the time, it almost felt like a joke. Now, it feels very real. For a while, it felt like I was fighting something that could not be stopped. Then I realized that avoiding it would not help me. I needed to learn it. That is why I started learning ComfyUI. I could use ready-made workflows, press a button, and get a result. But I wanted to understand what was behind that button. I wanted to take it apart and learn what each part does.
The more I learned, the more I started seeing the limits of AI. It is not a magic button. It can create impressive images, but it does not give you an idea, a story, or a reason to create. If you are not creative, AI will not suddenly make you an artist. I also don't believe AI has to compete with artists. It can be a partner. It can help us build prototypes, explore ideas, create concepts, and even build pitch books for stories that are still in our heads. Then we can take those ideas into production, where artists, designers, directors, animators, and VFX artists can bring the vision to life. A friend of mine who has been using AI for his work much longer than I have once told me, "Use your art and bring it to life." That sentence stayed with me.
So, before I start sharing everything I have learned from the past few months with ComfyUI, I wanted to start with something simple. One of my old sketches. I drew this little tooth monster while riding the LIRR back from Manhattan. At the time, I had a bad molar and had just bought my first 3D printer. I was learning how to make things from my home computer, and somehow this little monster came to mind. For this test, I took that old side-view sketch and used AI to explore the character from different views, including the front, side, and back. The original drawing only showed the side. That is what interests me about AI. Not replacing the artist, but taking something that already came from the artist and helping it move into the next stage. I miss those days when there was plenty of time to sit on a train, think about something strange, and start drawing. Maybe AI can help bring some of those ideas back to life.
Prompt: Convert the hand-drawn sketch into a realistic creature. It is a creature based on a dead human molar. The tooth should be cracked and rotten, with the pointed areas representing the roots of the tooth. It is standing on all four legs inside a dark basement dungeon. Its skin has the texture of dead chicken skin, and it has long nails.
Prompt: Convert the previously generated image into a four-view character sheet featuring the Tooth Monster. Show the front, side, back, and, when possible, top views. Keep the creature's design, proportions, details, and appearance consistent across all views. Place the character on a clean white background.Prompt: Convert the previously generated image into a four-view character sheet featuring the Tooth Monster. Show the front, side, back, and, when possible, top views. Keep the creature's design, proportions, details, and appearance consistent across all views. Place the character on a clean white background.
I hope this gives you an idea of how AI can potentially help you as much as it is helping me in my personal workflow. Honestly, AI is nothing to fear. Learn it as an additional tool in your skill set and use it to create pitches that might turn into real projects and revenue.
Does AI teach itself? Hmm, I don't think it does. People do, on both ends. We learn how to use it, and we also learn how to make it work for us.
If you find this useful, post your thoughts here. I will be happy to read them. Thank you, and I hope to catch your eye with more posts that I am planning to create about each useful node in ComfyUI.


Comments
Post a Comment